Halfway through our pregnancy I signed up for the Honest Company free trials (the Essentials Bundle, Diapers/Wipes, and Prenatal Vitamins). Our friends Emma and Jason also mailed us the New Arrival Gift Set. I’ve been so excited to try everything out, and now that our little man is here I’ve finally had the chance. I love that the products are natural and they’re all super cute.
So far, here are the things I recommend:
1. Healing Balm. This stuff is great. It is a multiple-purpose ointment that can pretty much be used for anything. It’s natural, non-greasy, and unscented. I’ve tested it out on my own skin and think it’s an awesome product for the whole family that absorbs well. Although I can’t vouch for its effectiveness in treating diaper rash or eczema, other reviewers say it works wonders and I’m not surprised.
2. Hand Sanitizing Spray. We have A LOT of hand sanitizer around here for everyone that meets our sweet boy. While Purel and others get the job done, they tend to be stinky and drying. The Honest Company sanitizing spray contains aloe and hasn’t dried out my hands like others. The travel size fits perfectly in a diaper bag.
3. 2-in-1 Shampoo and Body Wash. We are very careful about the bath and beauty products we use in our home. I’m keeping this guy (and the rest of our family) away from all the nasty, harsh chemicals in many conventional products. This bath and body wash is hypoallergenic, tear- free, and uses organic ingredients. It is one of the only products we use that’s scented, but the Orange Vanilla is very mild and not overpowering. It contains jojoba, coconut oil, calendula, chamomile, and aloe. And as far as I can tell, it works. Our baby was fresh and clean after using it. 🙂
4. Hand and Body Lotion. This is unscented lotion is, like the rest of the company’s products, free of sulphates, parabens, silicones and dyes. I find it very easy to rub in with a slightly runny consistency. It is hydrating without being too thick.
What I probably won’t buy again:
1. Honest wipes. I have a couple of the 10 packs of wipes which are great to put into a diaper bag or in the car. I’m no very picky about wipes so while I think these are just fine, I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other and would probably just buy what’s natural and on sale.
2. The diapers. I know, they’re adorable and score major style points. They’re also Eco-friendly. But there are a few things I don’t like about them:
The price- if these were superior to others, they’d justify the price. In my experience that’s not the case.
Bulkiness- these really bulk up when they’re wet. On one hand I always know when the diaper needs to be changed, but it fills up and gets really huge under our son’s clothes.
Leaking- all diapers have leaking issues, and these aren’t the worst of the bunch. The first Honest diaper I tried was so bulky and full things had no other place to go but out. I’ve noticed that the newborn size had issues and the size 1’s weren’t so bad, so it could be the way the diapers fit our baby. Our little one was born at 8lbs 6oz and although newborn is appropriate up to 10lbs, I definitely prefer the 1’s on him. Since running out of these diapers, he’s been in the Up and Up brand and (knock on wood) hasn’t had a leak since the switch.
Am I missing anything? The teether, I suppose. I can’t say much about that little thing since our baby’s mouth is full of a whole lot of nothing. And the prenatals, while i’m sure they’re great, aren’t the best for reviewing since I just had one tiny sample pack. We also have the hand soap by our bathroom sink and it smells nice. Overall, this is a great company with safe products and I will definitely continue to use most of their products, but I won’t be doing the diaper/wipe subscription.